Job: Part-Time Software Quality Assurance Tester
Location: Remote work to be performed in any U.S. state (except Hawaii)
Note: Recruitment is currently ON HOLD, but applicants are welcome to apply at any time and there is no closing date at this time for submitting an application.
To apply: Interested candidates, please complete this questionnaire.
Founded by two MIT engineers in 2013, Ultranauts is a quality engineering startup on a mission to prove that neurodiversity, including autism, is a competitive advantage in business. We offer a broad suite of software and data quality services with specialized capabilities in test automation, analytics and accessibility. Our clients include a wide range of F500 enterprises, cutting edge startups, and top-tier consultancies, and our exceptional team includes individuals on the autism spectrum. Ultranauts has been named a FastCompany World Changing Idea, MIT SOLVE Challenge Winner, and Interbrand Breakthrough Brand.
Ultranauts recruits part-time, remote (work-from-home) software quality assurance testers throughout the year. Work duties include evaluating websites, smartphone applications, and enterprise software; conducting thorough assessments of functionality and design; and writing detailed reports documenting issues discovered during the evaluation process. We are not actively hiring for this position at present, but we will resume recruitment in the near future.
- The chance to work with talented and motivated employees
- The opportunity to contribute to a fast growing, innovative company
- A flexible work environment designed for diverse employees
- Execute test scripts to confirm functionality, usability, regression, consistency, and absence of issues to ensure the quality and integrity of system releases
- Develop skills for creating and executing automation tests for testing websites and standalone applications
- Quickly bring serious defects to the attention of the QA Lead and testing team
- Follow written instructions to ensure the functionality and/or appearance of the software meets documented requirements
- Work with the team, customers, and other stakeholders to identify and clarify test cases and functionality
- Conscientiously track defects using our defect tracking tools
- Repeat test execution across multiple web browsers and/or mobile devices
- Write precise defect reports and respond to questions from colleagues and customers
- Utilize communication and bug reporting tools, such as Gmail, Google Docs, Slack, Trello, JIRA, TestRail
- Provide regular status updates to managers and keep up-to-date time reports
- Communicate work availability on a weekly basis
- Communicate with manager and team members on days when assigned to a project
- Demonstrate reliability through consistent attendance and punctuality
- Show the ability and desire to grow and advance within the position and organization
- Other duties as assigned
- Fast learner capable of applying new information including technical specifications
- Ability to work independently as well as in a remote, team environment
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks and pay strict attention to detail
- Honed English writing skills with attention given to specificity and clarity
- Ability to test client-server, mobile, web, and other applications
- Ability to learn testing, test script management, and test automation skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to adapt to changing scenarios and handle stress in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and deadlines
- Ability to make judgement decisions, grasp new ideas, and communicate professionally with various employees and clients at multiple levels
- High-speed Internet access and a computer that is less than 5 years old capable of running multiple web browsers and applications
- Available to work at least 20 hours a week, Monday through Friday
- Willingness to adapt to a varying work schedule ranging week-to-week in hours assigned
High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a major that required programming preferred. Strong familiarity with basic computer skills such as opening multiple browsers, bookmarking websites, copying and pasting, downloading and installing new software, Google Drive applications, remote communication systems such as Gmail and Slack. Prior experience collaborating remotely in paid work, volunteer work, educational work, or gaming preferred. One year or more experience in software testing or software development or a related field preferred. Familiarity with automation tools and exploratory website testing strategies preferred. Basic knowledge of source control tools, APIs, UI testing, and algorithms preferred.
- The ability to sit at a computer for extended periods of time
- The ability to perform repetitive motions needed for typing and mouse use
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire
- No sponsorship available: US citizen or Green card holder only
- All persons hired will be required to undergo and pass a background check
- Minimal bandwidth requirements – Download: 10mbps, Upload: 1mbps+, Latency/Ping: <100ms
Candidates who successfully complete ULTRA Testing’s recruitment process – which includes an online questionnaire, an internet speed check, a resume/resume alternative, a written test, a first and second interview, a paid-assessment week, and shadow testing period – will be considered for permanent employment as a Software Tester and will be paid a competitive hourly-rate. Interested candidates, please complete this questionnaire.
For a detailed overview of the recruitment process for this position, please read this document.
Work available for software testers can vary from week to week, ranging from over 20 hours during some weeks to 0 hours during other weeks. Software testing experience is not required, but a strong interest in technology and familiarity with different types of software is necessary. Long-term and eventual full-time employment is possible, and strong consideration is given to applicants who are actively seeking a long-term position.
For questions about the application process email firstname.lastname@example.org